Wednesday, March 26, 2003

yes I was totally ranting in last nights post ... but with good reason ... it was a fucking bat in the house ...


so today was quite interesting ... I think about 4 AM David and I finally fell asleep ... but at 6 when my alarm went off I was up ... cause the thought of the bat came rushing to my mind ... I got up and Kramer was sitting at the foot of the bed and seemed pretty calm so I wasn't worried ... he is an excellent bat barometer ... made some coffee ... started getting my stuff together ... watched a little news and figured I didn't need to stay here till I talked to the trapping company ... I could call them from work and go in early ... as I was walking back to get dressed Kramer freaked ...


he ran into the dining room ... up on the window sill ... standing on his hind legs he just focused in on the heating duct ... and then I heard the rustling and squirming of the bat ...


that was enough for me ... I called the emergency line of the trapping company and left my number and a guy called me back in like 3 minutes ... I was shaky and panicked and he just laughed ... I kept asking "can you come today ... can you come today" ... I told him everything that had happened and he said he would be here between 10 and noon ... I said "as long as it is today I don't care" ...


I left for work ... leaving David alone with the bat ... and at 9 called our condo association office to see if it was our responsibility to cover the outside vents with screen or theirs ... the woman in the office was very nice and said she would send someone from maintainence over to check it out ... before coming over they called David to ask some questions ...


one of the questions was "well has anything recently been put in that could seal the area?" ... David told them about the foam fiasco and the guy said ... "oh yea I know who you are talking about ... we've had problems with them" ... schwoooooo so it isn't just us smoking ... they are complainers and trouble makers ... woohoo ... I feel better ...


except the bat is still in the house ...


so the maintenance guy comes over to check out the vents and tells David they aren't attached to the heating at all ... they are for the fan in the kitchen ... when he sees the foam and newspaper shoved in the gap he is pissed ... David said he stood there shaking his head in disbelief ...


moments after the maintenance guy leaves the guy from the trapping company arrives ... he too goes out and looks at the vent and tells David ... that goes to the fan in the kitchen ... also letting David know that the bat flew into the vent ... worked his way through ... came out the fan in the kitchen and has been flying around the house at night and going into the heating duct at day break to hang out ... and when we saw him last night he probably got stuck trying to get out ... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww


suddenly stuff started to make sense ... Saturday night [the day of the foaming incident] Kramer went crazy ... woke Drew up who was sleeping in the living room ... woke David and I up by going crazy in the closet and jumping so hard on a Rubbermaid bin that he broke the top ... what we didn't realize is that Kramer was probably chasing the bat around ...


... again ... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww


the trapper checked the vent and said it looked at if the top of the vent had been open and that is how he was getting out but it somehow [foam] got sealed and so he was working his way through the house ... [French bastards] ...


so the trapper was in the office checking out the heating duct and asked David for a ladder ... when David went into the laundry room [which I insisted the door be kept closed since the furnace is in there and the bat might work his way out] the bat started flying around ... ewwwwwwwwwwwwww ... so David calmly closed the door ... got the trapper ... who went in with a coffee can and caught the sucker ... woohoo!!!!! bat free house ... bat free house ...


he gave David some screen to use on the vents outside ... checked out our duct work to make sure there wasn't a nest ... David paid him $175 and he was on his way ...


Kramer seems a bit sad that his playmate is gone ... but he'll get over it ... especially since David and I are now so happy ...


ding dong the bat is gone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment