Sunday, March 16, 2003

When I went to the University of Kansas I didn't fit any sort of stereo type ... I was a total hippy ... followed the dead in the summer ... wore flower garlands in my hair when we would go out at night ... and worked at this great hippy/dead/Guatemalan store called The Phil Zone ... but I was also on Student Senate ... with all the straight laced stiff ones and totally loved it ... I had a perfect attendance record all 3 years I was there ... and I even ran 2 campaigns ... Senate was a big deal at KU ... we even had CNN at meetings ... and to totally throw the hippy stereo type out the window I was also in a Sorority ... it seemed to be very important to both my parents and Kris' parents ... so at the age of 21 we joined a house ... most pledges are 18 so we were way above the average ... what my parents didn't know is my whole reason for agreeing was I learned at Greek parties ... as long as you are Greek ... it is $5 for all the beer you can drink ... which meant kris and I could get loaded as some lame Greek party and then go out with our friends and we wouldn't have to spend much money ... and our parents were paying for any Greek stuff ... it was great ...


but we had a bit of a stuffy house ... some girls didn't understand why Kris and I had friends outside the sorority ... duhhhhhhh ... all my friends can't be from one place ...


there is a thing in Greek life of stealing people's composite pictures ... it is the huge frame that usually hangs in the entry way or the living room of the house that has a picture of each person in the house ... so when a sorority or fraternity steals the composite in order for the owners to get it back they have to come over and do something silly ... sing for it or bring dessert or something ... so it is a big deal ... our house was kinda dorks most of the time and we hadn't really gotten any ... it isn't easy to get them and if you get caught then you have to do something silly ...


well one night I was drunk [surprise surprise] and I called kris who was living at the house ... [i never lived in the soririty house] ... I told her to get Katie and Veronica [the only other cool girls in the house] and to meet me out back in 20 minutes ... when they got in the car I told them we were going to do something cool for the house ... we were going to get a good composite picture ...


the first one we got was just so easy I couldn't believe people didn't do this more often ... so we went to find a second ... and a third ... then a fourth ... and finally a fifth ... that one was brand new and still in the box ... they hadn't even hung it up yet ...


the back of my Jeep Cherokee was loaded and we brought them back to the house and lined the walls of our chapter room with them ... we were all giddy with excitement ... we knew everyone in the house would be thrilled ... this would give us status as a house to reckon with ... besides everyone would see 5 different fraternities coming to do stuff for us ...


well I couldn't have been more wrong ... I guess since it was kris and I ... and we were never totally accepted in our house ... they FREAKED out ... they said they were going to call the police and have me arrested for grand larceny [can you believe this shit] ... they told me I needed to take each of them back and apologize ...


well the next day Kris and I loaded them in my car [we didn't rat out Katie and Veronica cause the house loved them and so did we] ... and as we were driving to the first house I told Kris "Fuck this ... we did something really cool I am not going to apologize ... in fact I think I know how we can still get something good out of this" ... I put each composite in the wrong house ... hung it right up there on the wall like nothing had happened ... and I made sure that no one got each others so it would take a while to straighten it all out ... so house A got house B's and house B got house C's and so on ...


I knew guys in each of the houses and it turns out it took them ages to realize they even had the wrong picture ... and even longer still to figure out who had who's ... it was sweet justice for Kris and I for having such bitchy sisters ... all in all it was about 8 months before everyone figured it out ... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment