Monday, March 2, 2009

Finally A Snow Day

After about a year of anticipation ... and months of wondering ... and days of waking up asking if there was snow ... we finally had enough snow to warrant a snow day ...

I got to stay home from work ... we slept in ... had our breakfast ... and then bundled up to head outside to all the good white fluffy stuff ...

Schuyler had hoped for a snowman but it just wasn't snowman snow ... too wet ... no packing ... but all on her own Skye decided it was perfect snow for snow angels ... and she was absolutely right ... she made about a half dozen of them in the backyard and they came out beautiful ... she was quite proud of them ... she also had a blast throwing it all around ...

I was just so happy to see her so happy ... it is rough when your child wants something so simple as a day to play in her backyard in the snow and there is nothing you can do to make it happen ... and when it finally does happen ... well ... it feels beyond good ...

After playing in the snow we came in and attempted to make maple syrup candy in snow ... I had recently read about it while reading the Little House in the Big Woods and thought it was the perfect time to try it ... Skye just liked hearing the words "cooking" and "candy" ... she was very excited and grabbed her stool and headed for the kitchen ...

I think she had more fun preparing everything ... which turned out to be a good thing because our candy didn't turn out that great ... she loved pouring the ingredients into the pot ... and standing next to me while I mixed it on the burner ... she kept saying that it was "so exciting mommy" ...

Once we brought the snow inside she started digging in ... she ate spoon after spoon of snow and kept telling me it was delicious ... so precious ...

We drizzled some syrup into the snow and she ate it right away ... even though it didn't harden ... David came in to try and salvage my project ... cooked it a bit more and then I had him pour it right into the big container of snow ... that hardened a bit better but by then Skye was full and finished with the project ... a good thing since that only hardened somewhat ...

I think she had the right idea ... the prep and the actual word is more fun than the finished project ... we were together ... doing something exciting and new ... and helping each other ...

She really makes everything in life better ... some days I don't know how I got so lucky to have her ... but days like today make me so happy I did ...

View this montage created at One True Media
Snow Day 3/2/09

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she got her snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So happy that Skye got her snow day!

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete