Thursday, January 1, 2009

I Was Wrong

Oh boy was I wrong ... so very wrong ... our new family tradition is going to be staying home on New Years Day ...

I really was so so so excited about going to the American History Museum today ... I checked out the website to find out what all was going to be on display at the museum ... it was closed for a while for renovations so I was also anxious to see it ...

Skye was really excited to see Kermit ... she talked about him non stop ...

So my first mistake ... I wrote down 4th and Constitution ... when it is at 14th and Constitution ... we found a place pretty quick at 4th and Constitution and got all our stuff together and started walking ... it was freezing and windy out but I was impressed with how close we were ...

Till I realized we weren't close at all ... once we got down to Constitution I noticed none of the informational signs said anything about The American History Museum ... so we asked a cab driver ... turns out AHM is at 14th and Constitution ... I couldn't believe I was such a ding dong ... so we started walking ... I wasn't sure I could make it another 10 blocks plus walk around the museum and then walk back 10 blocks but I was willing to give it a go ...

Let me just mention that I was also an idiot ... I just wore a cardigan and scarf cause I am always so hot and figured we would park near the museum ... and Skye wasn't even in her heavy coat and jacket ... and I was freezing ... parts of me started to go numb ... that is when David said he was going to get the car and would pick us up ... I was so thankful ...

Once we drove to 14th I was sure David made the right choice ... it would have been a killer walk what with being pregnant and how crazy cold out it was ...

Well apparently I am not the only one that is aware of the fact that metered parking is free on holidays in DC ... because there were a gazillion people parked and we drove around and around till David just couldn't do it anymore ... not a space to be found ... but the garage at the Ronald Reagan building was open so we decided to pull in there ... our free parking went to 10 bucks ... but at that point it had taken us so long to do everything I was worried we wouldn't have enough time to see anything ... if only I had known how silly that statement would turn out to be ...

We parked ... got our stuff together ... and headed to the museum ... I was still beyond excited about going ... there was so much we were all going to enjoy seeing ...

OH MY G O O D N E S S ... there were more people there than I could have ever imagined ... I am pretty sure there were more people then that random trip we made years ago before we had Skye ...

I know where everything we wanted to see was located so we headed right up to the 3rd floor and the Thanks For The Memories exhibit ... and Skye was beyond excited that she was going to see Kermit ...

The line to get into the exhibit was HUGE ... but we took our place and shuffled along ... we did get to see a Dumbo car from a ride at Disneyland while waiting ... Skye wasn't aware of who Dumbo was but she loved that there was an elephant there for her to look at ...

Once we got into the exhibit area I was sooooooooo disappointed ... they list all sorts of stuff on their site that you will see ... I mean I remember it being a large area as a kid and seeing Archie Bunker's chair ... The Fonz's jacket and what not ... well the area was like the size of our family room and dining room and there were 10 display cases ... that was it ... a baseball uniform ... women's basketball uniforms ... Grand Master Flash's turntable ... something else I can't remember and then the coveted Kermit the Frog ... I will say she was beyond excited to see him ... even if she had trouble looking at me while taking a photo ...

We also saw Oscar the Grouch and the puffy shirt from Seinfeld ... and the shoes from The Wizard of Oz ...

Then we headed to the instrument room ... even more disappointing ... like 8 cases that had violins and Cello's and that is it ... not what we were expecting from seeing the website first ... but outside the exhibit area they did have an amazing doll house that Skye loved ... she looked at every room and pointed stuff out ... it was precious and so great to see her interested in all the little things inside ...

We checked out the area about the Presidents which was really cool and we could have spent more time there but as I said before it was packed and at this point we were all starving ...

From the third floor mezzanine area we could see a presentation on how they put together the first flag ... Skye thought the stars they were laying out on this huge flag to represent the first 13 colonies were great and the big Christmas tree they had set up on the second floor she thought was beautiful so we hung out up above and watched it for a while ... then went looking for the restaurant ...

Now the last time we were there they had a Subway sandwich shop in a cool restaurant set up like an old automat ... they even had one whole wall with an original Automat ... and I wanted to take some photos of it today and let Skye check it out ... the renovations apparently wiped the place out ... I was so disappointed ... but there were signs for a Stars and Stripes cafe on the ground floor ...

We got down there and I saw $9 for a sandwich ... are you kidding me ... that is just crazy ... for some premade wrapped up sandwich ... I just couldn't do it ... it didn't matter how starving we were ... even pregnant and not having lunch I couldn't pay $9 for a sandwich ...

That was our cue to head back to the car ... Skye told people in the elevator she saw Kermit today ... so that alone made the whole trip worthwhile ... but David and I kept laughing at how wrong I truly was ... and he was happy to hear that our new New Year's Day tradition would be hanging out at home ...

On the plus side all the walking in the cold tuckered everyone out ... it is currently 8 PM everyone in my house is asleep and I myself am heading that way as soon as I hit publish on this post ... I think a bit of extra sleep will do us all a world of good ...

And really is any afternoon a bust that you get to spend with your family?? ... I think not ... and our day was still cheap ... $10 bucks for parking was all it cost us ... but the experience will stay with us forever ... and I am sure the inside jokes will keep David and I laughing for years to come ... besides Skye met her hero today ... she was so touched by seeing Kermit that she wanted to sleep in her Kermit the Frog t-shirt tonight and who could deny that wish? ... Not I ...




























No comments:

Post a Comment