Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Bad Tour

MJBadIt was some idle Tuesday ... November 8, 1988 to be exact ... Michael Jackson was close to the end of his solo tour at Irvine Meadows, California ... my dad and I were sitting around with nothing to do so we decided to head over and see if we could get tickets from scalpers ...

We scored 2 tickets in about the 10th row of the Orchestra Pit ... really really great tickets for about $50 a pop ... we waited till just about show time and talked a guy down ... but still a bit high for 1988 ...

It was the first and only time my dad and I went to a concert without a gaggle of my friends ... growing up my dad took us to all the concerts ... Duran Duran ... U2 ... Spandeau Ballet ... The Go-go's ... Cyndi Lauper ... you name an 80's band and my dad was there with all of us ...

It was a good concert ... we were seeing a living legand ... there were a few times we looked at each other like, "what the hell" ... he kept stopping mid-song and fake crying ... and then would go back to singing ... it was a bit weird but it was an awesome concert and I am so glad we decided to just get up and go that night ...

The memories of that night were my first thought today when I heard Michael Jackson had died ... that I was so glad 20 years ago my dad and I went and saw him ... that we got to experience the phenomenon known as Michael Jackson and we got to do it together ...

No comments:

Post a Comment